If you would like to view this video with closed captions, please select that option.
On 5 October 2022, as a session in our ReinventED Legal Business: The Case Studies series, Terri Mottershead, Executive Director, Centre for Legal Innovation (Australia, New Zealand and Asia-Pacific) chatted with Sarah Stoddart, Founder and Director and Michele Davis, Special Counsel at Vitality Law Australia.
Vitality Law Australia (VLA) was born from a desire to do law differently and to achieve true work life integration. It’s a non-traditional law firm specialising in healthcare, small business, property and wills and estates matters.
The small and nimble VLA team works remotely and flexibly, demonstrating the firm’s strong commitment to its clients, its business AND life outside of business too.
Client convenience, comfort, and customisation of services are at the core of VLA’s business. This includes things like meeting online rather than in person and giving advice via slide decks and images rather than long letters. VLA has done away with legal jargon, daunting meeting rooms and dark suits – they are all about helping their clients grow, in business and in life.
Topics discussed in the session included:
- Why VLA is a “non-traditional legal practice”
- The importance of values, goals and how these shape and inform firm culture
- How client needs and expectations are changing and, consequently, how and why customisation is redefining legal practice
- How a mix of legal services and products supports and enhances the client and lawyer experience
- The pros and cons of flexible, remote and hybrid working for legal business owners and employees
- What NewLaw legal business founders need to focus on before and after they launch
If you would prefer to listen rather than watch this episode, you’ll find the podcast in our The Legalpreneurs Sandbox podcast series here.