Episode 145: ReinventED Legal Business: The Case Studies - SHIFT Advisory
In this podcast, a session in our ReinventED Legal Business: The Case Studies series, Terri Mottershead, Executive Director, Centre for Legal Innovation (Australia, New Zealand and Asia-Pacific) chatted with Prue Tyler, Founder and Director of SHIFT Advisory.
SHIFT Advisory is a law firm and has been operating in New Zealand for 5 years.
SHIFT provides legal services, but also supports clients across corporate governance, risk, compliance and regulatory change by providing senior quality support to corporates, banks, fund managers, insurers and finance companies.
SHIFT offers expert capability and capacity to complement client teams, when and how they need it. They offer clients astute, experienced people, who integrate seamlessly into a client’s project, team and business, for better outcomes and ways of working.
SHIFT is a values driven business – Community, Authenticity, Empowerment, Freedom and Problem Solving are at the core of its business. These values also inform the firm’s commitment to customised, positive client and employee experience, continuous improvement, digitization (for and with clients), and the importance it places on long-term relationships.
The discussion in the session focused on:
- SHIFT’s journey from its launch as a niche legal business (compliance) to its expansion ahead of, in parallel with, and for its market
- The challenges and opportunities managed by the co-founders as SHIFT evolved
- The importance of and how SHIFT delivers its advisory services through multi-disciplinary teams
- How to approach and build a community for clients and employees
- How to identify, recruit and manage a flexible workforce
- How COVID impacted legal business and the permanency of those changes
- The importance of mentors for business owners
- The important role of law and lawyers in the evolution of RegTech
If you would prefer to watch rather than listen to this episode, you’ll find the video in our CLI-Collaborate (CLIC) free Resource Hub here.